It is estimated that 1 in 3 Canadian families cannot afford to enroll their children in sport or recreation activities (Vision Critical, 2011). Further, only about 5% of kids are meeting the Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines for Children and Youth. This percentage is even lower among kids from low-income families. To crown it all, current estimates show that more than 22.6% of children aged 2 to 17 from Quebec are overweight or obese.
Centre Solaris has partners with various sports organizations, such as Apex Martial Arts, and developed several programs to allow kids from low-income families to attend sports summer camps and sports and recreational activities throughout the year for free.
Centre Solaris is a proud partner of Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities program that gives children from low income families to participate in various sports and recreational activities throughout Canada.
Participating in sport helps kids develop physical and social skills, build self-esteem. They are acquiring confidence that will extend beyond practices and games.
Centre Solaris along with partners offer the following sports and recreational activities:
- Martial Arts
To see if your family meets the financial need criteria to qualify for Jumpstart funding, here’s how to determine where your total family unit income (before tax) falls within the LICO table:
- Find the size of your family unit down the left-hand side.
- Find your community size across the top.
We need the following information from parents to approve kids free enrollment in activity programs:
Your contact information (name, postal code, telephone number and email address).
- The first name, last name, gender and date of birth of your child.
- The details of the sport or physical activity in which your child would like to participate.
- Proof of financial need. Any one of the following will suffice as proof of financial need—income assessment, prior year T4 statement or three consecutive pay stubs. Instructions will be provided in the application on how to upload a copy of these documents.
All the required information can be transmitted via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please, contact us for details and schedules.